Tuesday, August 22

Writer's Confessions

Sometimes this writing crap is hard. Sometimes I look at the blank screen or pages and wonder what the hell is going to come next. Sometimes I look at the pages I've already filled, and wonder who wrote this crap.

Sometimes I freeze up, and think that I can't possibly do justice to the story I want to tell. And sometimes, I'll openly admit, I freeze up to the point that I won't write. Not that I can't...but that I won't. It's cowardly, and I don't like it...but I do.

What I've learned from these times, these frozen moments that can stretch on for days and weeks if I let them, is...you just have to sit down, take a deep breath, and dive back in.

You just have to take it one sentence at a time--until you reach "the end."

-Kristin

1 comment:

  1. There's one thing I always ask myself when I feel that way (besides all that I wrote in the post)...if it were easy, why would I bother? =)

    But yeah, it's daunting as all heck sometimes. Just gotta keep on slogging through until it's over. And then, of course, there's revising...but that's another story.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't feel that you are possibly on the edge of humiliating yourself, of losing control of the whole thing, then possibly what you are doing isn't very vital. If you don't feel like you are writing somewhat over your head, why do it? If you don't have some doubt of your authority to tell this story, then you are not trying to tell enough. --John Irving