Wednesday, November 1

Wha--?

Okay, I had one of the weirdest dreams I've ever had last night. And I've had some doozies.

My window was open, and a white horse was outside it. The horse kept rearing up, like it was upset or scared or something. And it was freaking me out pretty good, too. Then...okay, here comes the weird part...

It stole our cat. Took him right in his mouth. I don't remember anything after that.

I don't believe in this stuff too much, but just for kicks I looked at some dream dictionaries online. From this one:

To see a horse in your dream, represents a strong, physical energy. You need to tame the wild forces... If the horse is white, then it signifies purity, prosperity and good fortunes.

Okay, not bad. I'll take some good fortunes.

Now, about the cat:

...for the cat lover, cats signify an independent spirit, feminine sexuality, creativity, and power.

And about the stealing:

If someone steals something from you in your dream, you are feeling a lack of emotional understanding or appreciation in your life.

Okay, so let me get this straight. My purity, prosperity, and good fortune don't sufficiently appreciate my independent spirit, feminine sexuality, etc. Or something.

Never mind.

These dream dictionaries, generally, are a lot like horoscopes. They throw a lot of vague, general ideas at you, in the hope that one might fit. For instance, let's check out my horoscope:

You are quite determined today to fulfill your heart's desire, but you may be thwarted every time you make a move toward your goal. Fortunately you are not willing to give in to discouragement. Pick yourself up as often as necessary and start all over again. Although you aren't usually so persistent, today it will play out in your favor.

Now, of course I'm determined to fulfill my heart's desire. I mean, everybody wants something, every day...it's part of the human condition. We are never truly satisfied with what we have--at least, not for long.

And who doesn't feel thwarted, at some point during the day? Who goes through an entire day without experiencing at least one minute of frustration?

Of course, everyone wants to hear that they won't "give in to discouragement." I certainly don't mind being told that. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about my potential accomplishments.

And I can certainly cite some times when I haven't been as persistent as I should. Everybody can. Everyone gives up at some point, and frequently it's sooner than they should.

So what did my dream mean? Well, it probably meant that I was sleeping on my arm, or the cat jumped on me in my sleep and made me dream about him, or whatever. Or it meant...nothing.

But it sure was weird.

-Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't feel that you are possibly on the edge of humiliating yourself, of losing control of the whole thing, then possibly what you are doing isn't very vital. If you don't feel like you are writing somewhat over your head, why do it? If you don't have some doubt of your authority to tell this story, then you are not trying to tell enough. --John Irving