Friday, December 15

From the Title to the Plot...

Okay. So, as I careen towards the finish line on my first editing pass, I've been fretting about the idea for my next book. I can't help it. I just feel like the idea...isn't what I want. It's good (maybe), and I could make it interesting (I think). But I don't want it.

The other subject of frequent fretting has been the title of my current book. I don't think it's very good...and that might have something to do with the fact that IT'S NON-EXISTENT. Yep, that's right. I came up with the idea in April, started writing it in May, finished in November, and have been editing since then...and no title. Crap.

So I'm in the shower yesterday, and I'm thinking about titles. Just running stuff through my head, thinking about the book and what it's about, free-associating a little bit.

And I come up with a title.

But not for the current book.

I think of this title, and a plot immediately springs into my head, nearly fully formed. The title would be perfect for that plot...it's beautiful. It's spectacular. It's...probably already been done.

So I don't let myself get too excited. I finish showering, dry off, and dress. Then I dash off to the laptop, reminding myself that it's such a great idea, someone must have come up with it already. And they must have used my title, too, because the title is so damn perfect. There could be NO OTHER TITLE for this book.

Hop onto Amazon.

Nope. Free and clear.

So there you have it. I did the happy dance as I dried my hair (the cat was not amused). Heck, I've been doing the happy dance for about 24 hours now, because I think I can do it, and I can't wait to start. I still have no title for my current book, but...

Oh well!

I'm off to edit, because the sooner I finish the current, untitled work, the sooner I can start on the next one. I'm not going to rush the editing, because it'll take as long as it needs to take...

But I'm going to get it done. And then, in the new year, I'll start working on the next one. Which I finally have.

Happy dance!

-Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't feel that you are possibly on the edge of humiliating yourself, of losing control of the whole thing, then possibly what you are doing isn't very vital. If you don't feel like you are writing somewhat over your head, why do it? If you don't have some doubt of your authority to tell this story, then you are not trying to tell enough. --John Irving