Tuesday, April 24

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Wow. I've really fallen behind with the blogging...and likely will again, soon. Life is a bit topsy turvy at the moment, although in a good way.

We're moving!

...temporarily.

The Husband's company is sending us to Suffolk, VA for...well, probably the whole summer. We don't actually know how long, because he's only going until they can find someone to take the position permanently. So, the past several days have been filled with lots of apartment hunting and decision making, and quite a bit of excitement and stress. For a few days there, I really wondered if we should just tote a large cardboard box down there, and set up house inside it. It's that hard to find short-term leases.

Things have started falling into place, though...I think. A leasing agent who I'd been in contact with over the weekend called me yesterday to tell me that her company just gave her permission to do leases as short as four months. They have an apartment that's perfect in every way--including washer and dryer. Yay! No laundromats! Although, I could've written quite a bit while waiting for the whites to finish drying.

We're going down there Thursday to check the place out, and a few other places, if we can find some. I want to get it done and over with, because I can't help but think...it's too good to be true. Honestly, this place is so great (pool! fitness center! tanning bed! allows pets!), and yet falls so perfectly within our employer-imposed budget, that I can't help but wonder...where's the catch? When are they going to turn around and add $500 to the rent? I'm nervous, to say the least.

As for the writing, it's been...going. I guess. I've pretty much ditched my 100 words pledge, although many days I write enough to make up for the few days I didn't. This, I suppose, was entirely the wrong month for such a pledge. If all goes well, we're moving in three weeks. That's a massive amount of packing, planning, preparing...etc. I also had to forgo my very first writer's conference, because it lands squarely in the middle of all this chaos, and I just don't think we can spare the money right now. I'm not thrilled about that, but it was my idea to not attend, and I'm sticking to it. Such is life.

Aside from that, my only other news is that I'm almost done crafting my query letter--now, on to the synopsis and such. Also, I'm planting some beautiful summer-blooming bulbs--gladioli, ranunculus, and anemone...none of which I'll be able to enjoy this summer, since I won't really be here. It's bittersweet, planting things you won't get to watch grow and bloom.

Now, I'm off to make my novel grow and bloom. At least, no matter where I am, I have that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't feel that you are possibly on the edge of humiliating yourself, of losing control of the whole thing, then possibly what you are doing isn't very vital. If you don't feel like you are writing somewhat over your head, why do it? If you don't have some doubt of your authority to tell this story, then you are not trying to tell enough. --John Irving