Tuesday, June 12

Back

Been a few days since I've updated. The weekend alternated between busy (company picnic in Virginia Beach, shopping trip) and lazy/malaisey (coining a word here--I'm a writer, I'm allowed).

Not much progress on the writing front, except that today I finally got past a scene that was driving me crazy. I'm very uncertain about it, and whether it's a direction I want to take, so I've been stalling and procrastinating about it. Finally just decided to freakin' do it already.

My responses from agents have slowed a bit, so I might increase my current "five at a time" method.

Some links, so maybe ya'll can benefit from my procrastination:

Writing related:

  • Diana Peterfreund writes a handy primer for new writers: Part One, Part Two, and more to come tomorrow.
  • Agent Kristin Nelson describes a conference encounter that, dare I say, even beats the "manuscript-passed-under-bathroom-door" story/myth/legend.
  • A new blog by frequent commenter Tia, in which she reviews fantasy debuts with a fascinating "as-she-reads-it" style.
  • Ever wondered if your sunrise/sunset timing is right in your writing? Say, the scene takes place at five o'clock pm, and the sun is setting...but the scene takes place in summer? It's a little inconsistency that drives us perfectionists NUTS. Here's a site to keep you from pushing me those last few steps toward the asylum =).
Sort of writing related:

That's all I've got. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks for the plug about my fantasy debut blog! I am definitely going to check out the sunrise/sunset thingy.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't feel that you are possibly on the edge of humiliating yourself, of losing control of the whole thing, then possibly what you are doing isn't very vital. If you don't feel like you are writing somewhat over your head, why do it? If you don't have some doubt of your authority to tell this story, then you are not trying to tell enough. --John Irving