Saturday, July 19

Wedding Bells

Ah, it's summer. That season when so many blushing brides walk down the aisle, eyes bright with joy, to meet their groom and be joined for life...

...and also that season when the bride's and groom's friends do that thing they promised to do at the wedding, all the while wondering, "Why did I think this was such a good idea ten months ago?"

Yes, I will be reading an original poem at TH's friend's wedding. Today. Yes, after poring over this poem for the past month, and practicing it aloud many, many times, I kinda hate it. And yes, I am a nervous freaking wreck. But this is something you do for friends, and I love these guys, so I'll get through it.

The best part? The bride does not want to hear it until I actually read it at the ceremony.

Pressure? Nah.

Of course, as a member of the wedding party, sort of, I received a gift from the couple. A lovely pen with my name engraved on it. Can you believe this is the first time I've gotten an engraved pen? You would think someone would've thought of that a long time ago. I teared up a little bit when I saw it. Not sure why.

And of course, as a member of the wedding party, I get a seat on the booze bus to a bar, then the reception.

Drinks? Yeah. I'll have seven, please.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. I was just at a wedding last weekend! The first I attended in years. My mother read a reading from Genesis. I was miserably hot. Summer weddings in Florida . . . not a good idea!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't feel that you are possibly on the edge of humiliating yourself, of losing control of the whole thing, then possibly what you are doing isn't very vital. If you don't feel like you are writing somewhat over your head, why do it? If you don't have some doubt of your authority to tell this story, then you are not trying to tell enough. --John Irving