Monday, September 22

A Glimpse of the Top (as it topples ...or not?)

I'm by no means an expert on the publishing industry. Heck, I'm not even in the publishing industry, really. Just trying to be.

But considering how much time I spend on that "trying" part, this article was really fascinating (the original, split up into 9 pages, in case the first link is expired). Found via boingboing, so probably the rest of the (internet) planet has read it already, but just in case you didn't. Also, Cory Doctorow's comments on boingboing, about what the article missed or ignored altogether, were pretty insightful.

I'm very much on the outside of this article, so it's easy for me to sit back and say, "Well, it should be interesting to see what happens." Which is, of course, my only choice, since I'm just little ol' me in little ol' PA, writing my little ol' books...

...but I still get kind of nervous, just because this is the industry I've always dreamed of being a part of, and I want it to stay alive, dammit! Which I'm sure it will, in some form or another. The question right now is, what form will that be?

I don't think anyone has the answer for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't feel that you are possibly on the edge of humiliating yourself, of losing control of the whole thing, then possibly what you are doing isn't very vital. If you don't feel like you are writing somewhat over your head, why do it? If you don't have some doubt of your authority to tell this story, then you are not trying to tell enough. --John Irving