Monday, November 6

And the bloodletting begins...

...although, not really.

I'm starting the revisions early. Normally, I wait at least a few weeks so that I can get some distance, blah blah blah. And it's true what they say about taking time away...when I look at stuff I wrote a few years ago, I can see so many places that need improvement. Vast improvement. HUGE improvement.

But one thing I didn't do so hot this time was my worldbuilding. As I neared the end, I realized that my world needed a lot more...well...building. Things weren't clear enough, they weren't making enough sense, etc. And that's something that I feel I'll do better when I'm closer to the manuscript. No true editing, just yet...just getting in the things I didn't on the first pass.

This has nothing to do with the fact that I have the idea already in hand for my next book. Nothing to do with the fact that the excitement stirs in my stomach every time I think about it. And I don't do two books at a time, at least not yet. Without any true deadline, if I started my next novel while the last one still needed editing...well, it might take me a while to get back to it. Until the excitement for the new one starts to falter. Then I would go back and edit the last one, and in the meantime, I would fall away from the new one. You see where this is going, right?

Yes, I think too much. I know. I'm a writer, it's what we do.

Off to revise.

-Kristin B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't feel that you are possibly on the edge of humiliating yourself, of losing control of the whole thing, then possibly what you are doing isn't very vital. If you don't feel like you are writing somewhat over your head, why do it? If you don't have some doubt of your authority to tell this story, then you are not trying to tell enough. --John Irving