Thursday, May 31

Temptation

Almost done with the short synopsis. Well, almost done writing it. Then I have to actually pare it down to one page. Luckily, the first draft might not go longer than a page and a quarter.

But I ask you this: is it bad that I'm really, really tempted to sneak "Aliens arrive on the farm" into the middle of a paragraph? Because I really, really want to. If I were an agent (especially one who kept up with Miss Snark) I would enjoy finding that in a synopsis. It would give me a giggle.

Of course, the problem is that there are some writers out there who actually have aliens arriving on the farm out of the blue in Chapter 14. That's why we have synopses in the first place.

Stupid aliens.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should sneak it in. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, well, it would let me see which agents are paying attention...but then, the ones that *are* paying attention might think I really *do* have plot holes you can drive a truck through, and auto-reject. So...there's your downside. =/

    ReplyDelete

If you don't feel that you are possibly on the edge of humiliating yourself, of losing control of the whole thing, then possibly what you are doing isn't very vital. If you don't feel like you are writing somewhat over your head, why do it? If you don't have some doubt of your authority to tell this story, then you are not trying to tell enough. --John Irving